Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Information Diet– a suggestion of some alternatives to the "junk-media" onslaught

The Information Diet, by Clay Johnson is a new book that examines media saturation, and offers some ideas on how to decrease the quantity, and improve the quality of the information we intake.

I first heard about this on "Q"–  a great interview program on CBC radio.  Thoughtful discussions of current events, books, music, and culture–
http://www.cbc.ca/q/

Information Diet Website–
http://www.informationdiet.com/

Article on NPR–
http://www.npr.org/books/titles/145103496/the-information-diet-a-case-for-conscious-consumption?tab=excerpt#excerpt

A review on Forbes website–
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2011/12/22/the-information-diet-resolved-for-2012/

3 comments:

  1. Viewing your attention as currency, I really like this. That nugget alone was worth the 15min I gave the interview. His process is really one of old fashion critical thinking; truly a lost art. The assertion that people tune in for “affirmation rather than information” is spot on.
    I laughed out loud at how many times (in framing a question) the interviewer proved the very points that the author was trying to make. I think he (the interviewer) was completely oblivious. The author was polite but I think was very aware of the irony. The Daily Show as news; that was funny. Sticking with the food metaphor, I would say that The Daily Show would be akin to Cool Ranch Doritos or maybe fried dough.

    I’ll check out the other links.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the usual Q host was on vacation during the week this appeared– Jian Gomeshi is a much better interviewer. As far as I'm concerned he and Terry Gross on Fresh Air (NPR) are the best in the business. I think the Q interview is the best quick look at the idea, short of reading the book– although the Info Diet website is interesting too.

      Delete
    2. I think The Daily Show is more of a dessert, or maybe a wafer thin after-dinner mint

      Delete